Monday, April 8, 2019

In Honor Of 2 Friends

One year ago, an ordinary day was anything but.. 
I sat on my couch, right in the middle of 2 worlds. 

This post is in honor of the 2 worlds I sat between 
and the women who lived in them. 
One was the joy of new beginnings and 
the other the sadness of the end. 

You see, 2 very dear friends of mine were busy rushing about numerous activities to prepare for the day ahead of them. One was preparing for her I do’s. She was getting ready to look into her (very lucky) beau’s eyes and make a beautiful promise of a future they dreamed about together. Exchanging vows of love with excitement and joy in their hearts. Waiting to hear the pastor say "I present to you Mr. and Mrs." All this while the other was preparing for her goodbye to her niece who was at the end of her cancer battle. With a heavy heart preparing for the travels back home. A future was coming to a close. She was waiting for the final phone call.

There I sat on my soft comfy brown couch curled up in a blanket by the armrest, on a cold Minnesota day in April. One moment texting sorrowful prayers, the next, joyful congratulations. My mind was confused. How could my heart feel so much joy for one person and so much sadness for another at the very same time. I also knew both these women well enough to know the Lord was with each of them in their day. That they both had invited him to be there. The idea that God could be in both these moments had me in awe and slightly perplexed. I guess I never really thought about his presence being with others in the way I was seeing it then, from the outside looking in.

I closed my eyes to soak in this moment. 
It was then that there was a whisper to my heart- 

Joy and sadness can coexist. 
I hold one close to my chest and bury them in the safety and comfort of my feathers while the other I let dance in the mist of my breath. 

Then I could see it. I could picture it all, like scenes in a movie. One nestled up against Him, head tucked down curled into the feathers, safe and protected. At the same time I could see the other dancing in His hand with the breath of God swirling all around her.  Even now on this day a year later, I close my eyes and I can see it all again so clearly. 

Yes, my friend. Joy and Sadness can coexist. 

They can coexist with out any guilt. There is no need to question if it’s ok to be happy during a sad time or vise versa. It’s ok to be both. 

Love you madly.
Leslie

P.S. Ladies, it is a honor to be a witness to your stories.

P.S.S. If you have a good bye, my prayers are with you. And if you are celebrating I send you Congratulations. I’d be honored if you would share them with me. Email me at leslie.canup@gmail.com. And if you want a little help walking through either of these or making a little more sense of it all, let me know. I got you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Handle Your Overwhelm

I know you are feeling so overwhelmed right now.  There is so much information coming at you, so many decisions you need to make. Everyon...